Built in Essex, England in 1862, the Borley Rectory has risen to the top of the list for paranormal phenomena and was the most haunted house in England.
Reverend Henry Dawson Ellis Bull ignored warnings from the locals that the 4-acres of land was already haunted, he had a rectory built for him and his family; a gothic-style red brick building with two stories.
As soon as the Reverend and his family moved into the newly constructed house, the ghostly happenings began. Starting with unexplained footsteps that would followed family members both inside and outside the property.
A common ghost of Borley Rectory that was sighted was said to be that of a nun, allegedly linked to the 12th century Church on the grounds. She was seen so regularly that one area of the ground was named ‘The Nun’s Walk’.
Another terrifying ghost that became infamously linked to the legend of the rectory was the two headless spirits that pulled a large black coach with the help of four black horses; repeatedly riding past Borley Rectory and vanishing into thin air.
May 2, 1892; the Reverend died in the ‘Blue Room’, succeeded by his Reverend son, Henry Foyster Bull, known most commonly as Harry. The Nun’s ghosts was seen far more frequently and on June 9, 1927, like his father, Harry died in the Blue Room, but his ghost was sighted numerous times.
After standing vacant for several months, Reverend Guy Eric Smith moved in with his family. His wife discovered a mysterious brown paper package whilst clearing out the cupboards, what was inside horrified them.
They discovered a skull in the package and at that point, the paranormal occurrences dramatically increased. In 1929, the family contacted the Daily Mirror to help them find someone who could help. Paranormal researcher Harry Price ↗️, who wrote two books supporting claims of paranormal activity, went to investigate.
Harry Price was famous for debunking paranormal phenomena, psychic mediums and spirit photographers, but as soon as he arrived, he knew he was in deep water.
Stones and objects came flying out of nowhere, pebbles hit the house and rolled down the stairs, and spirit messages were tapped on the mirror in the Blue Room.
Several articles were written about the hauntings and ghosts of Borley Rectory, followed by a swift departure of the family on July 14, 1929.
Borley Rectory stood empty until October 1930 when the cousin of the Bulls, Reverend Lionel Algernon Foyster and his family moved in. They experiences the same unexplained paranormal phenomena, but things escalated from there.
The increasing violent poltergeist ripped the Reverend’s wife, Marianne, out of bed one night and was slapped and had objects thrown at her. Further more, windows were smashed, heavy furniture was overturned and fires would started unexplainably as well as doors locking and unlocking. Writing would also appear on the walls for a short time and then disappear.
Harry Price once again visited the house after two unsuccessful exorcisms on the Borley Rectory and reported many more occurrences including two bottles of wine he had purchased turning to ink and perfume respectively.
October 1935; Five years after moving in, the family left the haunted Borley Rectory.
Church officials decided the house would no longer be used as a rectory and for two years it stood vacant until Harry Price convinced the owners to rent it to him for a year in order to conduct in-depth investigations into the unexplained phenomena.
March 27, 1938; Price claimed to have contacted two spirits during his time there, a Catholic Nun from France and a spirit claiming to be Sunex Amures, stating; the house would burn to the ground that night at nine o’clock and the bones of a murder victim would reveal themselves.
December, 1938; Captain William Hart Gregson purchased the haunted Borley Rectory and experienced similar paranormal activity for nearly a year that he was living there.
February 27, 1939; Captain William Hart Gregson and accidentally knocked over an oil lantern which burned the entire house down. This was 11 months to the day after the mysterious Sunex Amures claimed the house would burned down.
In 1943, Harry Price returned to the ruins of Borley Rectory once more to excavate the cellar and tunnels under the property. He found two bones including the jawbone of a woman. There were also two photos taken during the demolition of the burned building. One with a brick floating in mid-air and another of a figure walking among the tombstones.
The activity decreased after the rectory’s demolition and was said to be focused more in Church and the graveyard on the grounds.
The Nun has been sighted numerous times in the graveyard and the sound of organ music can be heard playing. The Church and graveyard are still investigated by paranormal researchers to this day.
We at AHistoryOfMystery consider the Borley Rectory the most haunted house in the world before its demolition. It’s been investigated time and time again, even by people who try and debunk the phenomena, but there is not a single logical explanation for the paranormal occurrences.
Even up against houses like 30 East Drive and the Enfield House, Borley Rectory certainly has to be considered superior when it comes to ghosts, spirits and unexplained paranormal phenomena. Not to mention that the Enfield Poltergeist was somewhat admitted to be a hoax.
Paranormal Library >>>