Rendlesham Forest UFO

Enter your e-mail to subscribe to our newsletter:


The Rendlesham Forest UFO

rf Rendlesham Forest UFO
Often referred to as “Britain’s Roswell”, the Rendlesham Forest UFO, or the Rendlesham Forest Incident, is one of the most intriguing UFO mysteries in history.  The encounter took place over a three day period in Rendlesham Forest, outside of an airbase in Suffolk, England, in December of 1980. One of the things that makes it so interesting is the fact that it was witnessed by U.S Air Force officials, including Lt. Col. Charles Halt and security police, individuals, who most would deem respectable and credible witnesses. The fact that there are multiple witnesses also makes this UFO case difficult to dismiss.

Witnesses of the event, John Burroughs and Jim Penniston, claim to have seen lights descending into the forest at around 3 a.m. on December 26, 1980. When they approached the area to investigate, they say they saw a metallic, triangle-shaped object with colored lights sitting in a clearing in the trees. The two men approached the unknown object and one was even brave enough to try to touch it, but it moved away from them as they got close.

unnamed-3-300x187 Rendlesham Forest UFOThe next night, Halt and some of his men went out to the area in the forest where the object had landed the previous night with the intention of debunking the case.

Upon investigation of the clearing where the UFO had been seen, they discovered three impressions in the ground believed to have been caused by landing gear from the craft. They also found burn marks on nearby trees on the sides of the trees that faced the landing site. They had geiger counters with them to measure for radiation in the area and discovered moderate radiation around the landing site and even higher levels within the site where the craft had landed. During the investigation of the clearing where the object was said to have landed, Halt and his men encountered a UFO piloting its way through the forest. They say that it had red lights that would sometimes appear yellow.

At times, the lights would be steady and at others they would pulsate. Eventually, it started to “break into pieces”, as it was described by witnesses, and then broke off into five separate white objects and disappeared.  Halt and his men then claim to have seen three star-like objects, two to the north and one to the south. As they moved quickly through the sky, they displayed red, green, and blue lights. The two objects to the north were described as being elliptical in shape at first, but then became full circles that remained visible in the sky for an hour or so, while the object to the south began directing occasional beams of white light at the ground and remained visible for two to three hours.

unnamed-1-3-240x300 Rendlesham Forest UFO
Lt. Col. Charles Halt

Halt had a cassette recorder with him for the purpose of taking notes of their observations and what is heard in the recordings sounds nothing short of genuine, but government officials asserted that the men must have mistaken the Orfordness lighthouse for what appeared to be possible extraterrestrial objects moving about in the sky. Obviously this was an unsuccessful attempt to discredit the entire incident…

Recently, there have been some interesting new developments, whereas radar operators from RAF Bentwaters and another nearby airfield have come forward since retiring and they have provided Halt with written statements claiming to have tracked an unknown object on the nights in question back in 1980. According to Lt. Col. Halt, the radar operators say they “…saw the object go across their 60 mile (96km) scope in two or three seconds, thousands of miles an hour, he came back across their scope again, stopped near the water tower, they watched it and observed it go into the forest where we were,” and he goes on to say, “At Wattisham, they picked up what they called a ‘bogie’ and lost it near Rendlesham Forest.

Lt. Col. Halt insists to this day that, “Whatever was there was clearly under intelligent control.

What are your thoughts on this famous sighting?  Let us know in the comments section below.

You can listen to Lt. Col. Halt’s recording of his investigation and observations of the event in 1980 in the video below: